Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Goodbye Campbell's Soup.....I've Replaced You!


Last Saturday, my friend Kelly and I hit the local farmers market. While there we both purchased some organic Shiitake mushrooms from a local farm. We tossed around ideas of what to do with our mushrooms, but never settled on anything specific to make with them. I brought them home and stuck them in the fridge. They sat in their brown paper bag until today. I opened them open and cleaned a few and diced them up. Then sautéed them with a handful of chopped green onions with butter and EVOO and served them up in an omelet for breakfast. Delicious!
So what to do with the remaining Shrooms? I had stumbled across a recipe online for Cream of Mushroom soup, but with this 100 degree heat it wasn't justifiable for a hot soup; until the rain came pouring down the other night. It finally cooled off and I hit up the “fancy” grocery store (as my oldest calls it), this morning to pick up a few odds & ins and vegetables for the rest of the week. I picked up a 4 oz package of mixed mushrooms while there to add to the Shiitake I had at home. Let’s just say that Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom is a far cry from the homemade version. Rich and velvety, pure heaven in a bowl! Here’s my revised version of the recipe I found online. This will be a weekly soup come fall! Enjoy!

Cream of Mushroom Soup (6 servings)
5 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (Shiitake, Baby Bella & Oyster Mix)
1 can vegetable broth (14 oz)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
6 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pint half-and-half
1 cup white wine

Directions
In a large heavy saucepan, cook mushrooms in 3 Tbsp. butter with onion and thyme until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add broth and cook on medium-high heat for 15 minutes. With emersion blender puree the mixture, leaving some chunks of vegetable in it. Set aside. In the saucepan, melt remaining butter, whisk in the flour until smooth and add ½ cup of wine to the roux. Once thickened add remaining wine. Add the salt, pepper, half and half and vegetable puree. Stirring constantly, bring soup to a boil and cook until thickened. Adjust seasonings to taste. *Freeze in six 8oz jars. Do not defrost frozen soup in refrigerator. Thaw in microwave or run under warm water.

1 comment: