Sunday, November 4, 2012

Pre-Thanksgiving Planning...

So, my parents have confirmed that they will be traveling to Kansas to visit over Thanksgiving. Since my husband is still deployed overseas, this visit is  a welcomed one. I'm super excited about Nana & Papa coming here and I'm also kind of glad I won't be spending this holiday or my birthday  alone or just with my boys. 
The announcement of their arrival has spawned a pre-Thanksgiving planning on my part. I've been tossing around the idea of deviating from our traditional menu and doing things a bit different in Kansas. I love turkey as much as the next person, but I found a slow roasted duck recipe that I've been wanting to try. Or how about fixing a Turducken? If that idea doesn't fly with my parents, I'm at least planning on these side dishes and dessert recipes.

For sides, I'm thinking:
Stuffing Balls (this takes you back to last year's post) This recipe incorporates cranberry sauce and it helps avoid the random plate of can shaped sauce on the table.
Classic Green Bean Casserole The Campbell's classic.
Sweet Potato Casserole This recipe my friend made last Thanksgiving, I believe it had pineapple tidbits, pecans and coconut in it. I'm waiting on a reply from her, but if not, I have a back up recipe from McCormick. ~ Roasted Sweet Potato Casserole with a Cinnamon Pecan Crunch

And for dessert -
Pumpkin Pie a la Paula Deen. A friend of ours made this last year, but instead of using the regular  pie crust he used a graham cracker crust. It was simply delicious. 


I hope this inspires you all to do some pre-planning of your own. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment