Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Control the Salt!!! Make Your Own Spice Blends!

The other day, I wanted to make 2 new recipes and I didn't have a spice blend it called for.  So, instead of running to the store, I Googled how to make it.  I have a cabinet full of spices, so I figured that if I can make my on Not Lipton Onion Soup Mix, I can make spice blends too!
I searched and read and searched and read and came up with a mixture that would work for my family and I proceeded to make it! Now I have an abundance of Cajun Seasoning in my cabinet!

Later in the week, I didn't realized I had used all my McCormick's Montreal Seasoning.  So, I did the Google thing again, and made my own.
The best part about doing this is that I know exactly what is in the blend and I am able to control the salt.  The jar for the cajun seasoning is a 4oz jelly jar and was plum full.  The extra was in a small dish that I used for the Lemon Thyme Pork Chops and Scalloped Potato Casserole.

The jar the Montreal Season is something I wanted to reuse since the lid was nice and tight.  I used it on Hamburger Steaks and then again later for some Smashburgers with some other things like dill weed and more garlic powder added to it. As soon as I am out of another seasoning blend, I will make a homemade version up and share!

No comments:

Post a Comment