Sunday, September 4, 2011

Help from the "Sandwich King"

Last night, I wanted to do something different but not TOO dramatic since I didn't want to cook for hours.  So, I went through my normal recipe stash then decided to look on Food Network.  I saw that the Sandwich King - Jeff Mauro was featured on the front page.  He wasn't my favorite during the last The Next Food Network Start series (Sorry, I was a Vic fan!) but his point of view (POV) as they called it, stayed the same from the beginning to end.  I am sure that is what put him ahead of Vic & Susie , as Jeff's show was something different that hasn't been seen yet. 


Anyways, back to the actual food.  So, I clicked on the link and brought up his page. I scanned the recipes and landed on Chicago Steakhouse Sandwich.  After giving it a read, I made my grocery list.


To bad I couldn't afford 40oz of Boneless Ribeye, because it would have made this sandwich even awesome-er!  I say 40oz because I have to double things for my teenage garbage disposals. I ended up getting a nice top round that was on sale.  The recipe also calls for 30oz of fresh spinach.  I only got a 5oz box of spinach basically because I didn't know how well it would go over. Well, needless to say that I will probably do 10oz next time. I think 30 oz or the shocking 60 oz for doubling would be completely insane in the amount. The spinach adds another layer of flavor that will make you moan.  I also used sub rolls since they were BOGO at Lowe's Foods.  I made the blue cheese dressing as it calls for and it was a little runnier than needed for sandwiches as you can tell from the first bite picture, however it was really good. 


With a side of fries baked in the oven, the meal was complete. The only thing I think I screwed up on was the cutting of the meat.  I didn't get it "against the grain" so it was tough to bite off cleanly, but it was yummy. Even my mother-in-law said so. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment