Sunday, August 28, 2011

Veggie Day


Not having a lot of options for dinner in the house and not a lot of cash to do anything big for lunch or dinner today, I decided on the laco-ovo vegetarian option for our meals.
For lunch I made French Onion Soup. Instead of using beef broth, I used Better Than Bouillon Vegetarian No Beef Base. There are many other varieties of this product. I purchased this when I did my month of "Meatless Mande" from the very bottom shelf at my local Whole Foods store. The jar ran around $4.50 or so, but after seeing the other varieties at Food Lion, Wal-Mart, Harris Teeter and Lowes Food cost about the same amount, it didn't hurt the pocketbook that bad.
Now, I know the link above goes to my Vegan French Onion Soup, but the only thing that changes from what I made today is that I used regular no salt butter & sweet onions. I didn't have any cheese to go with it, but we made due and just had it with croutons. I do have to say that I did miss the cheese just a little bit, as did Emma & Michael.

I searched the cabinets for inspiration for dinner and found I had some Jiffy Mix. The thought of dumplings sounded good but I stopped buying chicken broth/stock ages ago. I had my supply of veggie broth though. I made the dough as it is called for, rolled them out & cut them. Then I brought to a boil 2 -32oz boxes of veggie broth and seasoned it with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. I added the dumplings and cooked them as the packaged directed. I served them up in my Fiestaware bowls. OMM (Oh My Marshmallows), this turned out SO yummy! Joey had no idea that I didn't make the dumplings with chicken broth until I told him.

For our "dessert" I made some cornbread muffins as the kids have been craving them since Joyce sent some home with her Chili Beans that Jamey and Michael love so much. Matter of fact, I think I hear one calling my name right now!



No comments:

Post a Comment