Monday, August 22, 2011

Southern Style Cooking in Kansas

Yesterday, I had the privilege of spending the day with my neighbor, Tenisha and celebrating her birthday all day long. One of the joys of being an Army wife is that there's always a time when a spouse isn't here to help celebrate special occasions and this is were other Army wives step in and help fill that void. I did the best I could.
The day started off by dropping off a carrot cake that I had made for her and gave her a copy of "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. Then I went home and whipped up the two of us a simple breakfast of baked eggs, buttered toast, fresh fruit and coffee, which we enjoyed outside at her patio table. Then I chauffeured her around post, managing every close parking space possible (which never happens to me) and then we cooked and ate dinner together along with our children. Now after reading this, everyone will be wanting to be my neighbor.

Last night for dinner, she fried chicken and I made homemade Bojangles' biscuits. Let me tell you, that was an awesome dinner. We ate the chicken and biscuits alongside some pickled beets and capped off the night with a slice of carrot cake. Now if that's not a good birthday, I don't know what one would be.Now, there was nothing special to the chicken just the mini wings and arm joints coated in flour and fried up golden brown. The biscuits were a recipe I had never tried, but will be my go to biscuit recipe from now on. I found them in a cookbook that I've had for years. Don't be thrown off by the mayo in them. They're amazing!

Homemade Bojangles' Biscuits


2 cups self-rising flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons powdered sugar
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 cup buttermilk*
Butter, melted

Mix dry ingredients; add buttermilk and mayonnaise. Knead dough slightly and then roll out onto floured surface and cut into biscuits. Place onto a baking sheet coated with non-stick spray. Bake at 450* for 10 minutes. Brush melted butter on top and then continue baking about 5 more minutes or until golden brown. Makes 9 biscuits. Enjoy.

*Buttermilk Substitution -Place a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup. Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line. Let stand for five minutes. Then use as much as your recipe calls for.

No comments:

Post a Comment