Sunday, February 11, 2018

Funeral Potatoes

This week began pretty much like any other week like most people's.  A couple of good things happened, including my youngest beginning a new job, I began "officially" on my family's genealogy project and I got found the perfect way to store some of the things I use in my planner (thanks to my mom!).  And, then a couple of what we sometimes consider bad things happened.
Two different women I each called Granny lost their battles against some nasty and horrific illnesses.  Neither of these amazing women were blood kin to me directly.  One, was my cousin's paternal grandmother who loved me like her own granddaughter, which meant I got in just as much trouble as her grandsons did.  She was a feisty, strong woman with a gentle heart and a huge smile.  The other was my husband's grandmother, my children's great-grandmother and my grandchildren's great-great grandmother.  I suppose after 20+ years, she was my grandmother too.  I wasn't close to her, but there is a hole in my heart where she once was, knowing it can never be filled.

How does this relate to food? Well, I can only speak for The South.  Someone dies, you take food. Food is comfort. Food means someone took the time to say "She won't feel like cooking, so I'm going to take a casserole for her." or "He doesn't need to worry where dinner is coming from for the next couple of nights, cause I will take care of it."
Plates, platters, bowls, Pyrex dishes, CorningWare dishes, pie tins, cake plates, casseroles and Tupperware fill tables, counters, fridges and freezers. All full of food.  Some homemade, some not. But that's okay because I think the thought counts.  Always being asked 'Didja eat?' if you pop in to give condolences.

In all this food, there will be people that do not eat because they can't eat due to dietary restrictions whether because of medical issues or personal choice.  I challenge you to find a gluten-free recipe that everyone can enjoy for those with Celiac Disease or those who are vegan/veggie people.  Sometimes, it just means to substitute an ingredient or two, not make something you aren't comfortable with making.  (FYI, Capn' Crunch is vegan)

No comments:

Post a Comment