Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Le Quatre Quarts with Creme du Citron

A delicious Pound Cake with a lemon- or orange-cream filling from JC’S MtAoFC Vol. 2 (pages 482-485).

This pound cake or as my oldest son calls it: LEMON CAKE, is a great light tasting cake with a simple sweet glaze.

It’s like sunshine in your mouth. I often imagine those little gnomes in “The Sunshine Makers” making this pound cake and singing their song while putting a bottle of sunshine it the batter. It’s a happy thought of mine while baking. :D

(Yes, The Borden Company originally commissioned The Sunshine Makers as a 1935 theatrical "advertising" film, with subtle suggestions that drinking Borden's Milk would make ANYONE feel "sunshine" within themselves....)

Let me say this is my favorite “go to” cake, majority of the time I have the items on hand to make this and it is quite effortless with my Kitchen Aid Stand mixer. Now, if I had to beat my butter into a mayonnaise-like cream by hand, I wouldn’t be making that often, but the way the butter beaten is the key to this simple recipe. Of all the times I have made it, I fail to take a picture of it before it’s all gone. So once again I have “borrowed” a picture off the internet of a similar looking pound cake.

Ingredient wise all you need is:

1 ½ sticks butter, 3 large eggs (2/3 cup), 1 cup sugar, grated rind of 1 lemon or orange and 1 ¼ cup cake flour for the batter.

The filling requires:

1 cup powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp lemon or orange juice, the grate of one lemon or orange, 1 Tbsp hot water, 1 egg, 2 Tbsp butter, 1 Tbsp cornstarch, an additional 3-6 tbsp of unsalted butter, and a pinch of salt

Very simple ingredients produce this moist and lush Le Quatre Quarts, meaning “Four Quarters” from the original proportions.

I will be making this very cake in celebration of my husband, children and I being together again as a family and our cross country move from NC to Kansas.

No comments:

Post a Comment