Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cheesecake, Potatoes & Leeks, Oh My!


On New Year’s Eve I finally bought a spring-form pan. I found a very nice one @ Marshall’s for $6. Another $3 and I could have had one that said Cuisnart on it. Considering both pans were identical besides the name, I bought the $6 one. Jamey loves cheesecake and in our 15 ¾ years of marriage I have never made anything more than the one that comes in the box. I have purchased him several of the ones that are the “fancier” cheesecakes while choking on the price tag. So, with new pan in hand, I had Nikki Google me a recipe and found one at Food Network. This is the cheesecake that I made. I didn’t like the way the “topper” was added at the end and ended up raking the top part off the next morning. The citrus flavor mixed in with the 2 pounds of cream cheese is nice and I will only reduce the amount of orange zest the next time I make it. It is taking us 5 days to eat this and there are 3 teens in my house and I have given several slices away, but I think I have found a new “special” desert to make. My only disappointment in this process was that I was hoping to make a cheesecake from Julia Child but there isn’t one in her books.
Sunday evening we wanted soup for dinner and I decided to make Julia’s Potato & Leek Soup. It’s the first recipe out of Vol.1 but here is it online. I made the boys Chicken Noodle Soup (from a can) because they weren’t as jazzed about trying the Potato & Leek Soup as Emma was. I used butter instead of the cream because I ALWAYS have butter on hand, and it made it easier since I didn’t have to find another recipe to use the cream in. I also didn’t care for the fresh parsley in it, so next time I make it, I won’t use the parsley at the end. It was a very filling soup. I served it with some French bread I sliced up from the deli. Joey, Emma & Michael liked it as well as I did, but Jamey didn’t care for it.
But you know what? It’s all butter!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment