Friday, January 21, 2011

3 New Recipes

Farce de Porc (Pork and Herb Stuffing, Vol. 1, Page 336)
This stuffing was originally intended to be placed in lamb and rolled up and placed inside of a lamb roast. Well, I can’t afford lamb so I served this on the side along with some egg noodles to accompany lamb chops. I can say, this is stuff is good!
It called for a cup of fresh white bread crumbs (French or homemade-type bread), I only make homemade-type bread when I make Sausage Bread. Luckily, I had some bread crumbs in the freezer that started their life as biscuits made from Jiffy Mix. This type of bread worked out very well for this recipe. I am so very glad I chose not to use can bread crumbs as I see that it is important to use ”fresh-real” bread crumbs.

Before I go any further, I need to say something about portion sizes. I have started serving dinner on smaller plates. Why you ask? Well, because the portions of food that we are served at restaurants are just way too large. That is why you can’t eat the appetizer, entrée and then the dessert. So, I am trying to reduce the portions we have and we can enjoy more food. Which now means… I am going to talk about desserts!!!!

I checked out The Lady & Sons, Just Desserts from the library last week when I got Vol.1 & Vol.2. Joey was the first to choose a dessert from this cookbook. He chose Chocolate Cream Cheese Pound Cake, page 27. I made this Saturday evening. I didn’t care too much for it, but the kids liked it. They described the taste as “like a chocolate pop tart”.

Tonight, I was looking for a new dessert and all the ones that we kept picking out of Just Desserts, I didn’t have all the ingredients for. So, feeling defeated I pulled The Cake Mix Doctor off the shelf and hoped I had the ingredients of a recipe that I have been longing to try but kept being shy of one ingredient: Peanut Butter. But tonight, I had EVERYTHING! So, I made Chocolate Sheet Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting, pages 52 & 427. This was incredible and lived up to what I hoped. The only change I will make to this will be that I will make it as a layer cake so I can have the peanut butter frosting on the top and in the middle!

No comments:

Post a Comment