Sunday, October 2, 2011

Southern Lunch

I decided when at the grocery store yesterday to make an ol' fashioned southern lunch for today. Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy and Buttermilk Biscuits.  I picked up a pack of 12 chicken legs at the grocery store for $3.72.  Not a spectacular deal, but the way my 3 teens eat, I needed that  much for one meal.  They always fight over the legs if I bring Bojangles home.  So, that was the other deciding factor in getting the legs.
I read many a recipe on frying chicken.  Everybody has their own way.  So, I took info from here and there and made my own Fried Chicken recipe! I soaked the legs in buttermilk for about 4 hours this morning after I washed and dried them. 
Then they hung out in the fridge while I made the Pumpkin Bread I have been hungering for. I had to wait for my local Wally World to start carrying it since apparently it is a "seasonal" item.  Well, since my Pumpkin Bread Season begins before they start selling it (Food Lion STILL does not have it!) I will make sure I have stock to carry me through until next year just in case I have to make random pumpkin items. This recipe for the pumpkin bread is some of the best I have ever had.  Just a note on the recipe, I use the 28oz can of pumpkin and 2 1/2 tbsp of pumpkin pie spice instead of the cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I make 2 full loaves and 8 mini loaves instead of the 3 regular loaves.
I had Emma peel some potatoes and then Michael sliced them for our mashed potatoes while I began frying the chicken up.  Emma then began work on some Buttermilk Biscuits. We have tried several recipes in the past and like them, but I wanted to do something new.  She did a great  job and they were light and airy.

Once the chicken was done I made up some basic gravy using the oil the chicken was fried in and the flour left over from dredging.  We got the potatoes mashed up and were ready to eat.



No comments:

Post a Comment