Monday, March 5, 2012

Whoa!! Where did we go???


Wow! Almost an entire 2 months have passed without a single blog entry. Where have we been and what were we doing? 

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I abandoned my kitchen for the month of February. The husband was away for some training and I fed my children pb&j's and take out for a month. YIKES! Not really, but I didn't cook and I mean dirty up 5 or 6 pots or pans with a full blown meal. We kept things simple around here and had cereal or sandwiches for dinner or I grabbed a protein shake and bowl of popcorn. Not the most nutritionally complete meal idea, but it saved on dishes. Who am I kidding! We ate off paper plates while the husband was gone. Pitiful as it may sound, it was nice to have some time off from cooking, but here I am back and revamping some recipes and making them a bit more "diet friendly". Yep, you read that right. The dreaded 4 letter word is back in my vocabulary. Last night's dinner was simple and easy enough on the waistline. We enjoyed a Chicken Cordon Bleu, steamed brown rice, some braised brussels sprouts from MtAoFC Vol. 1 page 451 and dinner was delicious. 
Other big news, I finally got my dutch oven, a cast-iron grill pan and panini press. 

I'm in LOVE with them both. I went with the Lodge brand in lieu of Le Creuset for a fraction of the price and both perform equally in the kitchen. The real test for the dutch oven is when I make Beef Burgundy again. Hopefully, we'll be back in our kitchens cooking and blogging again. Tonight we're having a salad of mixed greens and a Asparagus, green onion and goat cheese quiche. This recipe is great to double and make an extra to pop in the freezer for a night where you don't have much time to cook. 

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment