Sunday, April 15, 2012

Flea Market Awesome Find!!!

Today I went with my hubby and daughter to the Webb Road Flea Market in Salisbury in search of a video game.  I don't mind looking at all the different stuff and it's a great place to watch people.  I also look for cookbooks. Yeah, I know, like I don't have enough anyways. But I want to find those OLD recipes that nobody makes any more and try to bring them back.  In one of the stalls, I found the Woman's Home Companion Cook Book copyrighted 1942,1943.  The condition was okay for 69-70 year old cook book.  The asking price was $12.  It has 952 pages and weighs several pounds and thought it would be a great addition to my growing (insert - in severe need of new shelving for my collection here) collection.  I have flipped through it and found somethings that I want to add to my too try listings.
Curiosity lead me to do a Google search on the cookbook just to see what I could learn from it.  Basically, I have learned I have a gem in my collection.  The going price for this cookbook starts around $40 on Amazon for a 1955 edition and goes up to $100 on other sites depending on the condition and the year.  If it wasn't for the little kid scribble on the inside cover it would be rated pretty darned high on the $$$ scale. But that's okay. I am going to use it for what it is made for and to me, it will become priceless.



1 comment:

  1. I am going though my mother and grandmothers cookbooks and I have found this exact book. Issued 1942-1943 in pristine condition. Suddenly i have found myslef with roughly 50 different cookbooks ranging from 1931 through to present day! And like you I was Googing around looking up some of the older books, and came upon you. Now my interests are truly peaked!!

    ReplyDelete