Friday, November 18, 2011

Cooking with Dad

     Wednesday, my Dad suggested that we have dinner together.  Well, that is something that my arm DOES NOT have to be twisted to do.  I love cooking (and eating) with my Dad.  He came over this morning to decide on a menu then do a grocery run.
     We decided on Spaghetti with Meat Sauce, Garlic Bread, and a Salad.  I added that I thought we needed a dessert to go with our dinner and wanted to do something that went along with the menu.  Searching through my "To Try" Recipe Notebook proved to provide a recipe that is a most definite do again dessert.
     Dad made his family famous "No Recipe Available" Meat Sauce. I have watched him many times but mine never taste like his.   Joey informed me that he was sorry but Papa's Spaghetti Sauce was a million times better than mine but mine was still good. Which, I am definitely okay with. That is one of those things that are special when families cook together.  The fresh Parmesan Cheese I grated was awesome with the meat sauce.  I made some Whipped Butter  for our Garlic Bread and some Blue Cheese Dressing for our Salads.  The recipe I used for my Blue Cheese Dressing has its roots in the dressing from the Chicago Steakhouse Sandwich, I just use less mayo, add sour cream and less buttermilk and more blue cheese.  It ends up being a tasting game as it is made and gets better the longer it hangs out in the fridge. I felt very proud and my heart grew warm when my Dad said that my dressing was better than what comes from the jar.The salad itself was super basic, just some Red Leaf Lettuce, Arugula, Red Onion, Carrot and Cherry Tomatoes.  
  
      I did not go out and buy the arugula for this salad,I had it on hand. Several days ago, I made some more of the Boursin Cheese and wanted to try it with roast beef as the note from the original recipe said it would be good with. Julie and I discussed the options of a leafy green to put with the sandwich.  Arugula was chosen because of the peppery flavor it has. We thought it would go good with the baguette and thinly sliced roast beef I got from the deli. I also grabbed a ripe tomato and a red onion that would be thinly sliced. During our discussion, we thought that the thinly sliced onion and tomato would be the best option as not to over power any other ingredient.  I built the sandwiches by cutting the bread into 6 inch segments then slicing them open. I then smeared Boursin Cheese on both sides and laid down some of the red onion on the bottom so they would "stick" to the cheese and not fall out. Then I added a generous portion of the roast beef followed by the arugula and tomato then closed up the sandwich.  Unfortunately, my camera batteries had been stolen so that they could power the Xbox 360 controller, therefore I can't share a picture at this time.  Michael did say that the sandwich "tasted of perfection and nothing needed to be changed", Emma's opinion that the sandwich was "re-donk-u-lous" and Joey just kept saying "Yum, oh my gosh this is great."
 Chocolate Citrus Biscotti by Giada De Laurentiis was the recipe that I tested last night.  A cup of coffee was chosen to accompany the biscotti as dessert.  I have had this recipe printed since December 2004, so I thought yesterday was a good time to give it a try.
 The recipe turned out to be extremely easy. The citrus flavor grabs you as you bite and it is extremely pleasing to the pallet.  Please remember, if you choose to bake this most excellent recipe, that the biscotti will be hard. As it is suppose to be. That is why you dunk it in your coffee or tea!         
     I used regular ground yellow cornmeal, as once again, I couldn't find the correct product here in no-where North Carolina. However, I do have to say that I enjoyed the texture of the biscotti with the yellow cornmeal that was available, which was House Autry. House Autry makes fabulous products that I use for shrimp, hush puppies, cornbread and onion rings. Next time you are at the store, pick some up instead of the store brand or your other normal choice. Plus the company is here in North Carolina! 
If you haven't done so already, please join us on Facebook to see things that might not make it on the blog or the ideas that spark and become more that make it to the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment