Sunday, November 27, 2011

Adventures in Crock-potting...Chicken & Mushrooms in Wine Sauce

My family and I are on a mission to completely use up what's in our fridge and freezer in the next 20 days before we head back to NC for Christmas. A while back I had came across a recipe from a cookbook that I checked out from the library and decided to fix it tonight for dinner. I'm glad I did, because it sure was good.
I had everything on hand to make this for dinner, except mushrooms, tomato paste and thawed chicken. So, off to the store I went and came back to make a simple crock-pot dinner for my family. I still had a half bag of noodles from the Boeuf Bourguignon I made back in October and everything else is pretty much a staple pantry item. The Squished Witch wine came from the Oz Winery and made this dish superb.

Chicken & Mushrooms in Wine Sauce

3 cups sliced mushrooms (I used an 8 oz pack fresh mushrooms & 1 can of mushrooms drained)
1 large onion, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 1/2 - 3 lbs of meaty chicken pieces (I used chicken thighs.)
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 6oz can of tomato paste
1/4 cup red wine (I used about 1/2 cup)
2 tbsp quick cooking tapioca or cornstarch
2 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped or 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp salt and pepper
2 cups of hot cooked noodles
2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated

Place mushrooms, onions and garlic in the bottom of the crock-pot. Place chicken pieces on top. In a bowl, combine broth, tomato paste, wine, tapioca or cornstarch, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over chicken. Cover; cook on low for 7-8 hours or 3 1/2 - 4 hours on high.
Remove chicken from crock-pot and remove skin and bone. Serve chicken, mushrooms and wine sauce over hot noodles and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Enjoy with a glass of red wine!


1 comment:

  1. Nikki, this really sounds delicious. I'm new to your blog, so I've spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete