Saturday, November 12, 2011

What exactly is a Croquette?

    Night before last, I decided I wanted to make something new to go with the steaks we were having for dinner.  Flipping to a list of recipes that I keep with my Southern Living Annual Recipes Cookbooks, I decided on Potato Croquettes.  This recipe appears in the June section on page 116 of the 1987 Annual.  First off, I had to figure out what a croquette was. Once that was settled, I began to peel the potatoes and realized that the potato cakes that I make are kinda like a croquette. I love being enlightened on food. :)   The only thing this recipe doesn't mention is that leftover mashed potatoes would work better OR if you make them for this recipe, that you don't need to add milk or whatever you normally use to make them really creamy.  A little creamy would be okay, but not super creamy.  Mine were flat, like a formed hashbrown patty, but next time, I'll see if I can make them more tubular.

         In an earlier post I made some Chocolate Syrup to go with the Chocolate Pancakes.  The syrup has been living in the fridge since then and been used on random food or just in a spoon. (Yes, I know the picture is sideways - it isn't in my files. Since my laptop got dropped and the screen busted, I work in "safemode", it won't run some programs and I keep forgetting to email the pic out to get it fixed and hope it shows up right. *sigh*) I made Michael some scrambled eggs and warmed a Potato Croquette for his breakfast. (I'll have to take a picture next time I make these because Joey and Emma took the camera for a day trip with their Papa today.)  I grabbed the milk and was like "Hum...." and grabbed the bottle of Chocolate Syrup.  I mixed up a glass for Michael with the promise that if it wasn't good, he could pour it out and drink regular milk. The color is lighter than when using  Hershey's Chocolate Syrup or Nesquik, but the flavor was there! Michael said it taste just like the stuff we buy.  That is enough for me, that I will make them their chocolate syrup from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment