Friday, November 18, 2011

Split Pea Soup and a trip to the California Wine Country!


Recently I watched a show on the Travel Channel, which documented some of America's "All You Can Eat Paradise". The show traveled to Buellton, California to a roadside restaurant serving up bottom-less bowls of Split Pea Soup. Now, I have never tried split pea soup, I took a gamble and bought a bag of dried split peas from the store the other day. After googling for a few minutes, I came across their classic vegan recipe on another food blog-Worth the Whisk and had everything on hand to make this soup for lunch today. The only thing I did differently to this recipe was saute the onions, celery and carrots in a small amount of vegetable oil.

Even as I am enjoying my second bowl, I know that mine is nowhere near the taste of Andersen's classic recipe. But, it sure is good! I'm adding a trip to the California wine country along with a visit to Pea Soup Andersen's to my bucket list.

Original Recipe for 8 bowls of Andersen’s Famous Split Pea Soup~original post from Worth the Whisk

  • 2 quarts of soft water
  • 2 cups of Andersen’s Specially Selected Green Split Peas
  • 1 branch of celery, coarsely chopped
  • 1 large carrot, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon of ground thyme
  • 1 pinch of cayenne
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Salt & pepper

Boil hard for 20 minutes, then slowly until peas are tender. Strain through fine sieve and reheat to boiling point.

Top with bacon pieces, shredded cheese and croutons or as is and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment