Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pasty Flour?????


     My friend asked if I would make a Carrot Cake for her husband's birthday, so I said I would.  Even though I had never made one - but my lovely little sister had. So, I emailed her for the recipe she used.  She sent the email and as I read it I notice it called for pastry flour.

     I called her up and she said that she stumbled upon whole wheat pastry flour at a local grocery store in no-where Kansas.  I had no such luck here in no-where North Carolina.  With not finding any, I went to Google for help.  I found others had the same question.  I found my answer here at ehow.  It's a pretty simple recipe.

3/4 cup all purpose flour + 1/4 cup cake flour 
= 1 cup pastry flour

     In my readings, I also learned the differences between all-purpose flour, bread flour, cake flour and pastry flour.  It all has to do with the amount of protein in the flour.  The Kitchn explains it much better than I will for you.  Plus, why would I re-write something that someone else has already written???
     So, my carrot cake is now in the oven baking away.  Check out our Facebook Page later on to see a pic of the finished cake and be sure to "Like Us" too!

No comments:

Post a Comment