Sunday, September 23, 2012

Instagram Obsession, Memes and Greek Pasta Salad



Okay, so I've been slacking and not blogging like I should. I promise I've been cooking. I've just been a little obsessed with Instagram lately. Yep, the camera has been out and the boys and I have been having fun. I found a little site and discovered all the fun things I can do at PicMonkey.com. I collaged my Instagram food pics (an idea I saw on Pinterest) and eventually I'll get a poster size print of it and hang it in the kitchen. 


So, we officially kicked off the first day of fall yesterday with Apple Days here at Fort Riley. We had tons of fun at the festival. The boys and I rode in a Humvee, shot M4's, ate  carnival foods and spent the day with a few of our friends having lots of fun. Of course, I had lots of pictures, so I ended up doing a mini collage of our family and completed it with a screen shot pic I took of my husband from one of Skype dates.  

One of the fun things at Apple Days are the period reenactments and never know who you'll run into. We found Abe Lincoln and I couldn't keep a straight face after I informed Chris that this is the President who is on the penny. This ultimately made me reminisce about President's Day weekend when Chris swallowed honest Abe and we patiently awaited his return. So I made a Meme. Abe's expression is priceless, almost like he knew where he'd been. 


On to the food part of the blog....
A couple of weeks ago, I held a get together and one of my dear friends brought this AMAZING pasta salad. I asked for the recipe of course and it was a little of this and a little of that. I googled the ingredients she rambled off and found maybe the very recipe she used or one very close on allrecipes. This Greek pasta salad is full of fresh veggies, olives, feta cheese and a great Greek dressing. I used a bag of Wacky Mac veggie spirals, a whole English cucumber, a few grape tomatoes, kalamata olives, some green onions, and tomato basil feta cheese, but nixed the rest of the veggies called for in the original. I doubled the lemon juice, added a tablespoon each of parsley and dried minced onion to the dressing. It turned out great and maybe next time I'll add artichoke hearts and sliced grilled chicken to it as well. 


Greek Pasta Salad from Allrecipes.com

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups penne pasta
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small red onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cucumber, sliced
1/2 cup sliced black olives
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
DIRECTIONS:
1.Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the penne, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Rinse with cold water and drain well in a colander set in the sink.
2.Whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Set aside. Combine pasta, tomatoes, onion, green and red peppers, cucumber, olives, and feta cheese in a large bowl. Pour vinaigrette over the pasta and mix together. Cover and chill for 3 hours before serving.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment