Saturday, September 29, 2012

Just for Joey

On one of my recent trip into Pinterest, I pinned this 'idea' - Coffee Ice Cubes!
Joey LOVES  Starbucks Bottled  Mocha Frappuccino Coffee Drinks - I mean LOVES them. However, being a lover of certain things Starbucks, it's not an everyday thing that I can afford. Plus, there isn't one in my sad, lost town. Even then those bottled drinks are a luxury at the local Food Lion - unless they are on sale, but still, they aren't cheap. So, he knows he has to wait. That makes it all the better. (Kinda like I have to wait to get my Pumpkin Spice Latte. That's when I know fall is here and I get my annual post card from them telling me it's time to get my free birthday drink!)  Anyways, back to Joey.
So, yesterday morning when I made my coffee, I made an entire pot, even though I only wanted a cup, to attempt the 'idea' that I pinned. First, I poured plain coffee into some extra ice cube trays and froze them til solid then moved them to a bowl in the freezer (the one with the lid in the picture). Then I added some milk and sugar to the rest and mixed it up really good and poured it in the trays again for those to freeze. (Yes, I know that is a glue stick in the back of the picture. I have no idea why one of my children put a glue stick in my freezer, I left it so I would remember to ask them.)
Once they are nice and frozen (or in my case the day after I started because Joey was running a fever last night) they are ready to be added to a glass of milk of your choice.
Joey chose 2% milk, because that is what we drink - but I am sure that you can use what you like.  In this glass there are 6 of the cubes that have milk and sugar mixed in and 2 straight coffee.  I think there was about 1/3 of glass of milk or so there before he started adding the coffee cubes. 
Once the coffee cubes begin to melt some and most of the milk was drunk, he grabbed a fork and began "stabbing" it to break it up into a cold coffee slushy. His review: "This is great. I like it better than the store bought stuff."  All I can do was smile as I walked away. Yay me!


No comments:

Post a Comment