Monday, January 4, 2010

Sunday Evening

So Sunday evening we had hot dogs, chili, slaw, and fries. I had to pick Emma up from volleyball practice so I decided to stop back by Food Lion to grab the items I didn’t when I was there 2 hours earlier when I bought the groceries for the next 2 weeks. I was really proud that I only spent $99.48 the first trip for groceries, but just so you know, I did have some items on hand plus I bought some pantry items to help restock (i.e. Stove Top Savory Herb & FL Shell’s and Cheese.)
-off topic- the FL brand is less salty & cheaper than Velveeta brand. –back on topic-
When I came home from FL (first trip), I began preparation for dinner. Started the chili and made the slaw. The head of cabbage I bought Thursday was a little larger than what I wanted but there wasn’t a great selection at ugg-Walmart (hey-I was there & the hot dogs were on sale & I had other stuff I had to get). So, I made enough BBQ slaw for the family for dinner and tomorrow leftovers. I still had a VERY large amount of cabbage to use so I made up the rest of it and I will be taking it to the office tomorrow to see if anyone wants it. The chili wasn’t my best, I am not sure why it wasn’t my best, but the kids & Jamey still ate it.
On my way out the door to get Em from practice I grabbed a The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook by Paula Deen. I knew I wanted to make a dessert but not sure of what. I had perused the book several times & had noted some recipes I wanted to try. I decided as Em walked out from the gym that I was going to attempt Gooey Butter Cakes (pg 125). I spent another $12.22 at FL. NOTHING was on sale, plus I did purchase 2lbs of butter (1lb unsalted & 1lb salted). Plus I had no cake mixes in the pantry or cream cheese. I cannot find a note in the cookbook that says where to use salted or unsalted butter. So I used the salted tonight.
I made the basic Gooey Butter Cakes recipe. It smelled wonderful coming out of the oven and the filling rose quite high. As it cooled it sank back down.
We “tested” it while it was warm. OMG! It is sooooo good! There is definitely no way to make this healthy…because it’s all butter!

*NOTE-I have learned that since I purchase the imitation vanilla flavoring b/c it is cheap, that if I double the amount called for in a recipe, it does what the really good expensive stuff does in regular amounts.*

1 comment:

  1. Did you know you can buy a pound of Amish rolled salted butter for $2.19 at Whole Foods?

    ReplyDelete