Thursday, April 28, 2011

Simple Marinara Sauce & Wild Mushroom Pasta

Last night, it was cold and I wanted a bowl of spaghetti, but not just any spaghetti. I wanted a good bowl of pasta that would fill me up, but not make me fill like I had drown in a vat of grease.
I had recently stumbled upon a really simple marinara recipe last week and then remembered that I had first read about it in a Nicholas Sparks novel, True Believer. All you need is an onion, some butter & a can of San Marzano tomatoes. Then I saw a picture of this awesome pasta, telephone cord pasta also called Fusilli lunghi (available at Trader Joe's) and thought it was worth a try, but alas the Commissary didn't carry any. So, I settled for some Buitoni Wild Mushroom Agnolotti, which was superb and if you head over to their website you can get a dollar off any of their refrigerated pasta or sauces. For a side of protein, I used a very delicious & vegetarian-friendly Italian "sausage". Mmmm, the Smart Sausage by Lightlife was so good with the pasta & sauce. I also served up some 3 Cheese Texas Toast alongside the pasta.



Simple Marinara Sauce

Taste and adjust with more salt if needed.

One 28-ounce can whole plum tomatoes (San Marzano, if you can find), tomatoes roughly chopped with their juices
5 tablespoons salted butter
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and halved

Heat a heavy, medium saucepan over medium heat. Add all of the ingredients and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to low to keep a steady simmer. Cook for 45 minutes, or until droplets of fat float free of the tomatoes. Stir occasionally. Discard the onion or secretly enjoy. Serve over cooked pasta.


Hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I did. It's even better the next day! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment