Monday, April 4, 2011

Update on Going Green-ish...Saving Money

Just a quick note for you on price per load on the laundry & dishwashing detergents. I ran to the store this morning and picked up 4 more bars of Fels-Naptha for a larger batch of detergent. I ended up using 6 bars of soap, 1 whole box of Super Washing Soda and almost 3/4 of a box of borax. I spent roughly $6 on the six bars of soap, $3.89 for the borax & $2.78 which came out to $12.45, let's just say $13 for math purposes. It filled up my large cracker jar (16 cups) & a small 2 cup container. 18 cups of this stuff is able to wash 144 loads of laundry using 2 tablespoons per load. Cost per load - 9 cent per load! (for me, your cost might vary slightly) & the cost per load for the homemade dishwashing detergent, only 11 cent. I ended up buying $3.00 worth of Lemonade flavored Kool-Aid for the dishwashing powder. I did 16 packets of Kool-Aid to 2 cups each borax and baking soda and one cup kosher salt. Now, I know that it's a bit more effort to make these than run out and buy a commercial brand of the same stuff, but this makes sense (dollars & cents).

No comments:

Post a Comment