Friday, March 18, 2011

The Joy of Cooking

I have been fighting one of my weaknesses all week – buying a new cookbook. I have been fighting back really good with the help of a trip to the library this morning before I came into work. I picked up what I thought was the ORIGINAL Joy of Cooking, but when I looked closer it was The All New All Purpose Joy of Cooking. Which I really didn’t mind, it was just that I had no idea it has had several revisions done and this cookbook was copyrighted in 1997.
Several things caught my eye as I have flipped through the book so far. First off is the proper way to set a table. Guess what my kids are going to learn!!!! (insert evil mom laugh here). Next was in the recipe for sauces. I have learned, from page 46, that cheese sauce – like I make for our broccoli with cheese sauce has a proper name: Sauce Mornay. Never knew that. Also, page 127 informs me that fried eggs, really aren’t fried, they’re sautéed eggs! Never knew that either!
Looking at some of these recipes makes me happy that I don’t have to have much processed foods to prepare a dish. I am looking forward to making the Tomato Ketchup found on page 69 – that is as soon as I get ahold of 14 pounds of tomatoes! I am thinking that I may need to plant some since I want to try the Fresh Tomato Soup on page 97. After looking at the Red Onion Dip on page 145 I think we will have some of the Root Chips on page 144. I have barely made it 1/8 of the way through this cookbook and have a lot of ideas for next month’s menu. Right now, I am thinking of having Hors D’oeuvres for dinner one evening – as a meal. We’ll see what happens!
Oh, if any of our readers have a copy of Joy of Cooking (any verison) or any other cookbook they do not care for any longer, please let me know & I will be glad to take it off your hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment