Sunday, March 6, 2011

Mixing things up....

Okay, so you might have noticed that the blog isn't MtAoFaSC with my Sisters any more. No longer are we focusing on Julia and Paula or Mastering the Art of French and Southern Cooking. We're including all of the wonderful recipes we've ran across and made, but haven't blogged about. We're having Adventures in our Kitchens and we want you to join us for the fun. We enjoy cooking and this blog is a way for us to share all of our adventures in our kitchens as we prepare food for our families and friends. Here you'll find a random collection of recipes from the cookbooks straight off our kitchen shelves, internet recipes, other blogs, magazines and our friends.

It's been awhile since I've blogged. My family has recently moved to Kansas and we are adjusting to life in the Midwest. Last week, I finally dug all my cookbooks out of a moving box and found a home for them on a bookshelf in my dining room. I also got to sit down and peruse the cookbook given to me by my Mom & Dad for my birthday back in November.Heart of the Artichoke and other kitchen journeys by David Tanis, is a wonderful fresh take on meals and how simple they can be. There's maybe one recipe with artichokes in it, but the book's concept is to avoid processed foods and cook with fresh ingredients. Getting back to the heart of cooking and the ingredients; this is something that I am slowly doing in my own kitchen. I'm relying on less packaged foods and striving to buy more fresh foods. To help with my new mission, I ordered a few new cookbooks last week too. I got a copy of Our Best Bites cookbook, a blog that I follow and King Arthur Four Baker's Companion Cookbook. I need all the help I can get in the kitchen while baking and I know that this book will pay for itself with the knowledge that I gain from it. I made their Beautiful Burger Buns recipe that I had found online back in October and they were awesome. Here's the link to the post about them. So back to my kitchen adventure from last week. After reading the first story in Tanis' book, I set out to make Jalapeno Pancakes.
They were a cinch to whip up and even more delicious than I dreamed of. I topped with some warm syrup and a poached egg. (Yes, I can poach an egg now.) Now some maple syrup would have put these pancakes over the top, but sadly the Commissary on post was out and I had to settle for some Aunt Jemima's on them. Nonetheless, I enjoyed a simple and sinus clearing breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment